The Student News and Media Site of Blue Springs High School

The Purple Post

The Purple Post

The Purple Post

Baseball/Track updates

Baseball’s dominating season drew to a close Wednesday evening with a loss in the district championship game, and both track programs continue to prepare for sectionals and state in the coming weeks.

The baseball team headed into Districts as the one seed and easily controlled their first game, beating Lee’s Summit North 13-4 behind senior Jake Lufft’s excellent pitching and hitting performance which included two home runs, one of them being a grand slam. They were unable to match that performance on Wednesday as their season ended, getting knocked out by South by a final score of 8-6.

Track is all that remains, and both squads are performing at a high level as both the girls and boys took home first place in front of a home crowd in the District Championship meet last Saturday.

The boys team handled home field well beating Lee’s Summit North by 24.5 points after having a much closer bout against them the week before. In distance running, junior Gabe McClain won the 800 meter run, senior Oaklee Hauschild won the 1600 meter run, and Hauschild and senior Morgan Cauveren took third and fourth in the 3200. Senior Xavier Hall won the 110 meter and 300 meter hurdles while teammate Colby Valaer took third and second in each event. Finally the boys 4×400 relay team dominated their event, running the state leading time and beating the second closest team by a full four seconds.

In the field, senior Tre Wheaton won the long jump with a distance of 23-6.50. Senior Sam Knowlton won the pole vault reaching a height of 13-06.00. Finally, senior Daniel Parker took first in discus with a throw of 173-02.00 and second in shot put with a 52-11.75.

The girls team had one of their best meets of the year, taking first after finishing second in conference. Senior Symaih Smith won the 100 meter dash with a time of 12.56. Senior Sarah Coy won the 100 meter hurdles, and junior Cori Davis won the 300 meter hurdles. The girls owned the relay events, taking first in the 4×200 and 4×400 and second in the 4×100 and 4×800. Seniors Natalie Sheehy and Raegan Spotts took first and second in the pole vault, and seniors Reggie Kanagawa and Myra Tupai took first and second in the discus.

Both teams look to ride off of this success when they compete in the Sectional Meet tomorrow at William Chrisman High School.