The Student News and Media Site of Blue Springs High School

The Purple Post

The Purple Post

The Purple Post

Young recipient of historical recognition

By J. Metje & Michaela Fielding

“I’m so proud of Mrs. Young. She really deserves this.” -Christina Nguyen, sophomore

BSHS has become acclimated to a certain level of prestige and award. Indeed, in “winning at everything we do,” we expect a certain level of achievement each year. However, for one BSHS teacher, a totally unexpected accolade has come in a historical fashion. Jacquelyn Young, coach of the high school’s forensics team, has been inducted into the National Speech and Debate Association Hall of Fame. Not only is she the first person to ever get this level of recognition after applying just once, she is also the first black female to receive this award.

For this momentous occasion, the entire BSHS NSDA team is celebrating, a party that includes both past and present members. Members Christina Nguyen, Hayley Prins, Megan Seaton, and Laura Verbrugge praised Young and expressed their excitement  for their coach.

“I’m so proud of Mrs. Young. She really deserves this. She is so nice, has been in this program for so long and has done so many things to help the program. No one would be a better recipient of this award,” sophomore Nguyen said.

Young has coached the forensics team for over thirty years, has seen National Tournament champions pass through her classroom and has poured her life into improving the program. Her students have taken note of her dedication.

“To me, having Mrs. Young be in the NSDA Hall of Fame is a reflection of how much effort and time she has put into this program,” sophomore Prins said.

Young’s achievement comes as more than just a prize, but a rallying call for greatness in her team.

“The fact that Mrs. Young has earned this award makes me want to work even harder to do my best and represent my team in a good light,” sophomore Seaton said.

Young’s accomplishments have shown students that doing what you love will eventually bring pay off in the end.

“I’m so proud of Mrs. Young, and she has shown me that you should do what you love no matter what,” sophomore Verbrugge.

Achieving this historical recognition is an honor for both Young and BSHS. Young plans to continue coaching the team to greatness, and we look forward to her next great season.