Girls, boys bb sweep Jags

“It was one of the best feelings so far this season. Before, we were all really nervous in a good way. After, we were all celebrating when Mike hit the game winning shot.” -Sophomore Braden Appelhans

As they look to the last stretch of their season before districts begin, both basketball teams are fresh off wins over crosstown rivalBlue Springs South. In a last minute thriller, the boys team won on a layup by Michael Harrison, and the fieldhoes went wild.

“It was one of the best feelings so far this season,” sophomore Braden Appelhans said. “Before, we were all really nervous in a good way. After, we were all celebrating when Mike hit the game winning shot.”

The boys game started with South taking the lead. The Cats then showed up during the second quarter, tying the game 28-28 at halftime.

After the half, Blue Springs took the lead and ran with it, starting the fourth quarter up 48-38. South then snatched the momentum right out of Blue Springs’ hands, and ended up tying the score with less than 10 seconds left. With the ball in the Wildcat’s possession and two seconds left on the clock, Harrison shot the game winning layup causing everyone in the gym to go wild. The student section stormed the court to celebrate with the team; Blue Springs had just beat South 54-52.

Appelhans goals included taking on a bigger score role and have allowed him to play a large part in the team’s 11-6 record this season.

“It has been a very transitional season for me,” he said. “One of my personal goals is to make all-conference.”

The team has eight games left in the regular season and is hoping to win their conference along with districts.

Though not as much of a nailbiter as the boys, the girls win over South was still a solid one. Coming off a loss at Park Hill, the team kept the lead throughout the entire game, earning themselves a much needed conference win over the Jaguars on South’s home court.

With both teams hungry for a win, the game began in a competitive back and forth fashion. The Cats stayed strong though and lead the score at the end of each quarter, finishing the fourth at 61-48.

Freshman Jada Williams led the team with 24 points and 7 assists, followed by sophomore Ja’Cole Johnson with 18 points, 4 assists and 2 steals. The Cats followed up the win at South with another victory at LSN on Tuesday.

The teams overall record is now 14-4 and 2-2 in conference with eight games left before districts as well.

Starting tomorrow night versus Ray Pec, the girls will enjoy a five game home stand. Come out and support both varsity teams tomorrow night against the Panthers.