Mind’s Eye inspires creativity in students

“I love being able to look at what makes Blue Springs High School unique. We genuinely have very talented artists and I love to experience their work,”

The school’s literary magazine, Mind’s Eye, is a creative outlet for all students at BSHS. Whether a student finds his/her niche in poetry, prose or art, Mind’s Eye is a platform for all artists to share their craft by being published. This year, the Mind’s Eye is taking entries until February 15th.

English teacher Julie Sturman has been in charge of the publication of Mind’s Eye for twenty years, but the magazine has been a part of BSHS for years prior to her take over. This will be the 40th year that the magazine is published.

“We spend a good majority of second semester creating the magazine in my  Creative Writing II class,” Sturman said.

While Sturman noted that it is important to be accurate with the theme, fonts, grammar, and spelling of names, she said the selection of the pieces is the most crucial part.

“Sometimes the hardest part is for the students to decide which pieces to select, because not everyone agrees on pieces. It’s hard to judge peer’s work,” Sturman added.

Senior Anika MacLeod is in her second year working on the Mind’s Eye staff. As a member of Sturman’s seventh hour Creative Writing II class, she is heavily involved in the publishing process of the magazine.

I love being able to look at what makes Blue Springs High School unique. We genuinely have very talented artists and I love to experience their work,” MacLeod said.

MacLeod mentioned that a challenging element of the magazine was narrowing the selection, because there are so many talented people submitting their work. Despite the challenge, she noted that it is worth the efforts.

“I think the literary magazine is very important because it lets students express themselves in a quiet way. Not everyone likes to be apart of sports and clubs and this is a good way for them to be involved,” MacLeod said.

On the other side of things, freshman Emily Reed will be submitting her work to the Mind’s Eye for the 40th volume.

“A big dream of mine has always been to publish my writing, so I thought this would be a great way to start,” Reed said.

Reed will either be submitting an essay she has been crafting or a short story. She has yet to make the final decision yet.

“It’s a great experience to put your work out there and letting others see what you can do. Usually, when it comes to writing, not a lot of people have a way to put their work out there. This is a great way to shine a light on the kids who haven’t had that chance before,” Reed said.