“Sideshow” musical showcases freaks, oddities

BSHS encouraged its students to come look at the freaks in this year’s musical, “Sideshow.” Dedicated staff and students put their blood, sweat and tears into the show.

“The best part of the musical was the behind-the-scenes creation of everything. Watching all the crews hard at work to make a masterpiece and seeing it all come together on stage is the most satisfying thing,” junior Aidan Henry said.

Aidan has been a part of theater since his freshman year and is an active member in the BSHS forensics team.

Although each part of the staff, both onstage and off, excelled in their roles, a snowy Friday forced the show to cancel.

“While we only got two performances for the public, we made those two performances the best we could,” Henry said.

Sophomore Zoe Edgar participated in the musical this year as the Fortune Teller for the Sideshow. This was her second participation in the school’s musical, her first being in “Little Shop of Horrors.” Edgar’s singing part required hard work to perfect her on-stage voice and presence.

“The biggest challenge was and always is how to make your character shine. Whether you are a small part or big, my motto is, ‘if you don’t have a starring role, be a star in the role you’re in!”’ Edgar said.

Sydney Edie’s lead role in Sideshow as one half of the conjoined twins was not her first on-stage rodeo. She also played the female lead in Little Shop of Horrors. Edie was attached to co-star Lindsey Ziefle a the hip during most of the show.  Most of their dresses and skirts had to be pulled apart, then sewn back together to create the illusion of conjoined twins.

“Getting to know the amazing members of cast and crew and literally being attached to someone by the hip all the time was my favorite part of the musical,” Edie said.

Edie embodied the level-headed nature of her character both on stage and off.

“This show is your baby. It won’t grow up to be the best unless you put effort and time into raising it,” Edie said.

BSHS said goodbye to the Sideshow on Saturday night with a full house and an overwhelming standing ovation.