Winter Sports State Update

With the arrival of spring weather returning back to Missouri, the spring sports season has done the same. All spring sports at BSHS have officially begun, which means that winter sports have started making their departure for the 2019-2020 season. A recap of the end of each winter sports season is to follow:

Wrestling finished their season in Columbia at State on February 22. The team had five wrestlers qualify for the meet: junior Cayden Dotson, junior Korbin Shepherd, sophomore Jaxson McIntyre, junior DeAndre Thomas and freshman Brock Sullivan. Shepherd placed 2nd in his weight class and Dotson placed 4th in his. Along with placing at State, the two also earned first team all-conference along with sophomore Corbin Katamura. Several other wrestlers earned second team all-conference honors: Sullivan, McIntyre, sophomore Jase Mansfield, junior Jason Gross, sophomore Rhian Kempf, and freshman Mady Banker.

Girls swim and dive finished off their season at the state championship meet on February 22, claiming a spot in the top 10 thanks to a strong finish by the 400 free relay team consisting of senior Sydney Franklin, senior Jenna Wright, junior Annemarie Rehbin, and freshman I’yana Foster. Divers senior Katie Garten, junior Mackenzie Loudermilk, and junior Shayla Aten qualified, with Garten finishing fourth and Aten placing 12th. At the meet, the team was led by Rehbin and Garten who both earned individual First Team All-State honors. Franklin, Wright, Rehbin, and Foster competed in both the 200 medley relay as well as the 400 free relay, where they went on to earn First Team All-State, and Honorable Mention All-State.

Boys basketball competed on March 7 in the District Title game against cross-town rival Blue Springs South. The Cats were down throughout most of the game until they came back in the fourth, with seniors Cooper Willich and Isaac Harkness each scoring two three-pointers late in the game to put the Wildcats in the position to advance. Three sophomores were named First Team Suburban Big 6 All-Conference: Braden Appelhans, Ikenna Ezeogu, and Kyle Bruce. Willich earned Honorable mention along with sophomore Mike Harrison. The team finished their season on March 11 against Ray-Pec at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena, narrowly losing to the Panthers by two points. 

Girls basketball celebrates a winning postseason so far. Starting on March 2, the girls competed in the District Semifinal game against Raytown. After defeating the Bluejays in a tight matchup, the team faced Truman on the 7th for the District Championship title. The Cats were victorious earning the title beating Truman 45-36. Senior Aliyah Bello led all scorers with 12 points and eight rebounds, and freshman Jada Williams added seven points and four rebounds. In last night’s thriller, the Wildcats beat a Lee’s Summit West team that had defeated them twice; freshman Jada Williams led all scorers with 32 points.  Their state journey continues on Saturday at 1:00 when they face Liberty at the Silverstein Events Center in the state quarterfinals.