PLTW’s computer science pathway preps students for technological world

“It’s a field that continues to grow; there’s tons of openings available. (Students) will be well prepared to pursue a computer science degree or internship.” -PLTW computer science teacher Kevin Cleavanger

In an age of increasing technological presence, the ability for individuals to develop and utilize computers to their fullest capability is a growing need in society. Project Lead The Way’s computer science pathway prepares students for the age of technology.

Computer literacy is a skill that is rapidly increasing in importance. While anyone can use Word to type a document or make a spreadsheet using Excel, it takes a deeper level of understanding to use a computer to its full potential. Project Lead the Way’s computer science course prepares students for both practical everyday applications for computers and career opportunities.

“It’s a field that continues to grow; there’s tons of openings available. (Students) will be well prepared to pursue a computer science degree or internship,” PLTW computer science teacher Kevin Cleavanger said.

PLTW offers a benefit not commonly found in high school: a jumpstart into future occupations and opportunities with bountiful opportunity.

Computer sciences isn’t limited to solitary interaction; having solid working relationships will help technicians get their work done effectively. In addition to the core content of computer science, students also learn the value of working on a team and effective communication in the workplace.

“We also work on soft skills such as communication… because in the real world you’ll always be working on a team, you have to communicate to make things work,” Cleavanger said.

Despite PLTW being an optional high school class, it provides benefits that will last a lifetime. For many students, facing the future is one of the most daring challenges they must face. Thankfully, PLTW provides students with the skills and insight required to start life off right.