The Student News and Media Site of Blue Springs High School

The Purple Post

The Purple Post

The Purple Post

Breaking news: Wildcat TV update

By Mya Pearson

“Really it’s the relationships with the students because it’s different than a normal class. It’s a lot of fun to have those relationships with students that are different than a normal class,” sponsor Matt Marble on the rewards of teaching Wildcat TV.

Wildcat TV is back on the scene reporting this year’s news on campus with a fresh new spin on things.

“Every year we just have a lot of new segments that we bring forth to the table. We have this new thing called Wildcat TV dreamchasers, which is basically about one specific topic that a person works on individually,” senior Dasia Walters said.

The process to figure out what to include in each week’s show involves several steps.

“Every monday we re-watch the show that the students just watched in advisory, and we go to the whiteboard and spit out ideas. It’s mostly just brainstorming but we use things we hear around school,” Walters said.

Tapping into one of her own interests, senior Carolyn Clark sought to include various groups within the school and brought a very up and coming topic that many students are interested in to the show this year: fashion.

“I actually have a new fashion segment with one of teammates. I know other people want to do a lot more creative things like club exposures and pop culture. We’re trying to corporate stuff for multiple people,” Clark said.

Clark hopes to improve on her editing skills. She has a YouTube channel that is made based on what she learns in Wildcat TV. The seniors from the year before shaped how Clark and the rest of the staff work this year.

“I hope to carry on my editing skills from from Wildcat TV and incorporate it into my YouTube channel. I have really improved on my presentation skills and confidence, mainly because of last year’s seniors., Clark said

Wildcat TV sponsor Matt Marble teacher has an educational background that makes him a solid mentor for his students.

“I graduated with a broadcast journalism degree from Truman State so I was always interested in things like this. My first six years of teaching I taught just communications and then this opportunity to take over Wildcat TV opened up so i was excited about it,” Marble said.

As a leader of such a hands on group, Marble has the opportunity to connect with students on a personal level.

“Really it’s the relationships with the students because it’s different than a normal class. Students are constantly working on projects, and putting in time after school, on the weekends, and working very creatively with each other, so it’s a lot of fun to have those relationships with students that are different than a normal class.”