The Student News and Media Site of Blue Springs High School

The Purple Post

The Purple Post

The Purple Post

Wildcat TV expands, two new series added

By Dasia Walters

“We’re always thinking about ways we can do something new that other student media programs at other schools aren’t doing.” – video production teacher Matt Marble

Most know the advanced broadcasting students of BSHS for one thing: pumping out those weekly episodes of Wildcat TV. But recently, some new additions were added to the lineup.

Those new additions were “Timeout,” a weekly segment focused on sports with senior Hanna Haupt, and “Inside Politics,” a political segment that airs on Tuesdays with junior Rianda Wenther.

For both girls, it all started with a passion for their respective topics.

“I want to go into political journalism, so Mr. Marble was really working with me and since I’m not in the actual Wildcat TV class we wanted to incorporate me doing something and starting something so I can be prepared for what I want to go into,” Wenther said.

Haupt had her own story.

“I’ve grown up around sports, I love sports, and I find them very interesting, so I thought it would be easy to something I’m interesting in and I love,” Haupt said.

There was also an urge for expansion and innovation.

“We’re always thinking about ways we can do something new that other student media programs at other schools aren’t doing,” said video production teacher Matt Marble.

Thus, the webisodes were born. They’re short and condensed, yet pack a lot of information that is valuable to high school students.

“There’s a lot of preparation beforehand, especially with Rianda doing research over what the news stories are and trying to cut those huge news stories down into two or three sentences,” Marble said.

For Haupt’s segment, preparation often includes obtaining footage from games or events to feature in the episode, all while simultaneously working on episodes for Wildcat TV.

“It’s not really hard to do them both,” Haupt said. “I enjoy them both so it’s pretty easy.

Despite all of the putting together involved, both Haupt and Wenther upload weekly to the Wildcat TV Youtube channel.

Episodes of “Inside Politics” are released on Tuesdays and “Timeout” on Fridays. To view the latest episodes and more, click here.