The Student News and Media Site of Blue Springs High School

The Purple Post

The Purple Post

The Purple Post

Wildcat TV celebrates award-winning ‘J Day’

By Samara Bhatti

“Getting to meet other people who share the same interest as me was awesome! Knowing that other people share your passions and can bond with you in that is super cool,” senior Cassie Pabst 

Student journalists from all over the state attended the Missouri Interscholastic Press Association (MIPA) Journalism Day on March 28, including sixteen BSHS student journalists. Held at the University of Missouri-Columbia, the conference recognized and honored student publications in both print and media.

Seniors Brett Tieman and Maddie Beshem received All-Missouri honors, the highest level of award that could be received, for their story on the solar eclipse.

“Even though I knew it was a good story I entered, I didn’t think I would win. Everyone was waiting for the award ceremony to be over than all of the sudden I heard my name. I was shocked; I couldn’t believe I won,” Tieman said

Students were able to attend a professional conference and learn from some of the best in the state.

“It was MU’s big Journalism Day.  Student journalists from around the state in all areas came for a conference.  There was a keynote speaker, breakout sessions for all types of media and an awards ceremony for the top journalists in the state,” Wildcat TV teacher Matt Marble said.

The students practiced the skills and techniques they learned in class.

Students attended 3-4 breakout sessions on short filmmaking, using inexpensive cameras, live streaming, shooting video with drones, covering natural disasters, etc.” Marble said.

Top journalists in the state were at the conference, giving the Wildcat TV team the opportunity to talk to other students and gain more knowledge about their interest.

“Getting to meet other people who share the same interest as me was awesome! Knowing that other people share your passions and can bond with you in that is super cool,” senior Cassie Pabst said.

This field trip prepared future student journalist about what to expect in the field of journalism.

“I plan on going to Mizzou and majoring in journalism, so it was helpful to learn more about the field and see the place that I’ll someday go to,” Pabst said.

Marble noted that his favorite part of  Mizzou’s Journalism Day had less to do with awards and more to do with fellowship.

“Seeing the students learn new things and have a great time doing it was exciting for me.  They also were alright with me eating lunch with them at a local restaurant (even though I told them they didn’t have to eat with their boring old teacher!) and we had a great time hanging out and just joking around a laughing. We went and took pictures around the MU campus and those little bonding moments are special.” Marble said.

Five students from BSHS received an award at the ceremony.

• Brett Tieman and Maddie Bashem–All Missouri for “Great American Eclipse”
  • Dasia Walters–Superior Rating for the mini documentary “Black History Month-Beyond the Books”
  • Keely McElligott–Excellent Rating for “Timeout-Live Stream”
  • Rianda Wenther–Honorable Mention for “Inside Politics Ep. 5”
  • Hannah Agness–Honorable Mention for “Student Spotlight”