Senate holds executive board elections

“I feel like I done a lot just making senate as a whole better and just talking to more people and being nice like making people happier. Senate made me a leader but but also made me realize people know who I am so I try to make myself a better person to try and make the school a better place.” -Makenzee Peterman, junior

On Friday April 12th, the junior and senior senate executive board was announced and general senate applications began. For senate sponsor Danielle Knoll, this is an exciting time of year.

“I love getting a fresh new perspective on how they think things should run and how they think they can make BSHS better. My senior executive board has already come up with some great ideas that I am excited about implementing next year,” Knoll said.

Knoll participated in senate herself during her senior year of high school, and she believes in the power of student leadership.

“I have grown up with being a BSHS Wildcat. My mom was a teacher here my whole life, I attended here and now I am a teacher here. That has impacted the way I advise my students. I want BSHS to be a great for all students and that partially starts with student senate,” Knoll said.

To keep senate student centered, Knoll provides leadership guidance but facilitates students making the decisions.

“My job is to advise the senate and help them with any issues or questions they may have. I try my best to let them make all decisions and complete all committees with minimal input from myself; however, it is also a class and I am responsible to also implement Leadership Curriculum within the class,” Knoll said.

Junior Makenzee Peterman feels that senate has helped her become a better person.

“I feel like I done a lot just making senate as a whole better and just talking to more people and being nice like making people happier. Senate made me a leader but but also made me realize people know who I am so I try to make myself a better person to try and make the school a better place,” Peterman said.

Peterman noted that running for senior exec board and waiting for the results was a strenuous process.

“I was so nervous when they were calling out the names for executive board. I literally wanted to throw up I was so super scared. I went out into the hallway by myself and I just sat there and when they called my name I was literally shaking. I was relieved (when I made it),” Peterman said.

Sophomore Sydney Clark ran for senate because she wanted to be more involved.

“I really like being involved and senate seemed like a great opportunity to try new things. I had friends that were in it, and they loved the atmosphere of it and they made a lot friends.You just get to help out with a lot of different things that not everyone else gets to help out with,” Clark said.

Clark looks forward to the opportunity to lead and influence school-wide decisions.

“You’re more in charge on junior executive board. I love being a leader, and I just like doing the things you do in senate. I just thought junior executive board was a good opportunity,” Clark said.

As someone who likes to get things done, Clark is excited to have a bigger role in senate next year.

“Definitely just being in the class and having senate everyday, making new friendships, and being more involved, getting to be more hands on with the school and just getting a bigger say in things,” Clark said.