The Student News and Media Site of Blue Springs High School

The Purple Post

The Purple Post

The Purple Post

NFL Divisional Round Wrap Up

The divisional round concluded with the Chiefs and Bills’s game in Buffalo, NY, on Sunday, January 21st.

The first game to kick off the divisional round on Saturday, January 20th, was the AFC number four seeded Houston Texans, led by quarterback C.J Stroud, taking on the number one seed Baltimore Ravens, led by MVP front runner Lamar Jackson in Baltimore, MD.

Throughout the first half, the Baltimore defense kept the Houston offense in check by allowing only three points to Stroud, but the Texans went into halftime tied, thanks to a Steven Sims 67-yard punt return touchdown.

Despite the Ravens’ slow start, the second half was dominated by Baltimore, shutting out Stroud and the Texans, while Lamar Jackson scored three touchdowns to send Baltimore to the AFC championship game for the first time since 2013.

Saturday’s second game of the day had the 7th-seed Green Bay Packers of the NFC take on the number one-seeded 49ers, led by quarterback Brock Purdy, in Santa Clara, CA.

Green Bay opened the game up with a field goal from kicker Anders Carlson; by halftime, the 49ers led by one in a low-scoring 7-6 game thanks to a George Kittle touchdown pass from Brock Purdy.

By the end of the third quarter, the Packers held a 21-14 lead over San Fransisco, but with some help from a miss from Anders Carlson, the 49ers would score ten points from a field goal and a Christan McCaffery rushing touchdown. T

The Niners led 24-21 with less than two minutes remaining in regulation.

Green Bay’s Jordan Love led a drive to tie the game, but on second down, Love threw away the Packers season with a season-ending interception over the middle of the field to send the 49ers back to the NFC championship game.

Sunday’s games’ slate started with the 4th-seeded Buccaneers heading into Ford Field to take on the Detroit Lions.

After the game’s first two quarters, the score was 10-10 at halftime, and both quarterbacks threw for a touchdown.

The Lions took a 17-10 lead over the Bucs with a 1-yard rushing touchdown from Craig Reynolds; the Bucs then responded when Baker Mayfield threw a touchdown pass to Richard White to tie the game to end the third quarter.

Detroit opened the 4th quarter with Jaymir Gibbs’s touchdown run, and their following possession would score again to go up 31-17; Tampa was able to bring the game within 8 points but with a

Mayfield intercepted late in the game, and the Lions moved on to the NFC championship for the first time since 1991.

Sunday’s second and final divisional round game would occur at Highmark Stadium in Buffalo, NY, with the two-seeded Bills hosting the Kansas City Chiefs, who, to this point, had only played home playoff games in the Mahomes era.

Both teams exchanged field goals on their first possession; Buffalo scored the first touchdown with a Josh Allen touchdown run to lead 10-3 in the second quarter.

Kansas City then scored on their next two drives to lead 13-10 with three minutes to go in the second. Buffalo then scored a late touchdown before halftime to go up 17-13 at the half.

Both teams would exchange touchdown drives in the third quarter to make the score 24-20 Buffalo.

Kansas City punched another touchdown with a 4-yard run with Isiah Pacheco to bring the score to a 27-24 Chiefs lead.

In the 4th, Josh Allen got the ball with eight minutes left and drove the Bills offense into Chiefs’ territory with less than two minutes left.

Kansas City’s defense made a stand, forcing the Bills Tyler Bass to attempt a 44-yard field goal to tie.

He then proceeded to miss wide right, giving the Chiefs a victory and playing in their 6th consecutive AFC championship game.

Super Bowl LVIII will be played at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, NV on Sunday, February 11, 2024.