Art club expands students’ creativity

“Ever since I was seven or eight, I saw my cousin draw something and post it online. I just thought it was magic at the time because I didn’t know how it worked, so I just wanted to do that same thing.” – junior Jordan Jones

Every Friday during WCH, students gather in the art room to collaborate on their latest work and express their creativity. Students are invited to draw and create to this year’s theme “Bob Ross.”

After consulting with an administrator just four years ago, art teacher Johnna Coleman became the club’s official sponsor. Coleman had always been drawn to creating and observing art.

“I’ve always been an artist at heart, rather it be a dancer or drawing and painting; the really good art teachers really made me love it and enjoy it,” Coleman said.

Sophomore Joseph Espinosa enjoyed the creative atmosphere art club provided for him. While it has been an obstacle for Espinosa to attend, he plans to enroll in art classes in the 2019-2020 school year to fill his artistic gap.

“My plan is to get all the credits out of the way so I can do a lot of art classes next year and senior year,” Espinosa said.

Espinosa’s regular art style is sort of combining two different photos into one drawing.

“If I’m going to do an animal I like to look at pictures online and combine maybe a pattern from one photo and a position from another,” Espinosa said.

Junior Jordan Jones joined art club to be around other artists and share a creative space. Since he was young, Jones has enjoyed watching others put their work on display.

“I’m an artist myself so I figured I would go somewhere with artists like me,” Jones said. “Ever since I was seven or eight, I saw my cousin draw something and post it online. I just thought it was magic at the time because I didn’t know how it worked, so I just wanted to do that same thing,” he added.

Jones favorite technique is digital painting because he can experiment as much as he pleases.

“(I enjoy) digital paintings just because I get to mess around with all my brushes and test out colors, and it helps out a lot,” Jones said.

Jones will continue to attend because he is fond of the staff and students involved.

“My favorite thing is the teachers and the support of the other participants. Everyone is really positive; (there are) a lot of good vibes in there (and it) really keeps the whole thing going,” Jones said.

Students are welcome to come in as frequently as they please, and they are not obligated to return.