Foreign language clubs focus on culture, holidays, travel

“You come in and there is usually food that relates to French. You get to meet new people who would like to learn the same language as you. The the best part is the trips to the plaza and the crêpe restaurant in the spring.” – Makable Pierson, Sophomore

BSHS hosts two different foreign language clubs: Spanish and French. French teacher Amy Wilson sponsors the French club; Spanish club is sponsored by multiple Spanish teachers. Students looking to join don’t have to be in a foreign language class, they just need to attend the WCH meetings and sign up. Spanish club schedules activities that correspond to cultural holidays.

“We do a Halloween/Day of the dead activity, we do a Christmas thing, we do a Valentines day thing, and we usually do something in the spring for Cinco De Mayo, so we always try to pull it in with the holiday,” Spanish teacher Ashley Watkiss said.

The foreign language clubs have some meetings that take place outside of school, like their annual Plaza field trip.

“We do a Plaza trip every fall, it’s usually in November or December. We go down to the plaza and do that and usually in the spring we try to go eat at a Mexican restaurant somewhere,” Watkiss said.

Watkiss’ favorite meeting is the Day of the Dead, where they celebrate with traditional festivities.

“We typically eat sugar cookies and make crafts that are related to the Day of the Dead,” Watkiss said.

French club members enjoyed meeting new people and just having fun eating food and chatting.

“You come in and there is usually food that relates to French. You get to meet new people who would like to learn the same language as you. The the best part is the trips to the plaza and the crêpe restaurant in the spring,” sophomore Makaila Pierson said.

Pierson’s favorite meeting was the fondue party French club had last semester because she loves chocolate.

“We just sat and talked while eating a French dessert,” Pierson said.

Juniors Aly Nead and Emily Hidlebaugh have done French club and French class for two years. Their personal and academic strengths led them to apply  for leadership positions within the French club.

“We took a survey thing and filled out why we wanted to do it. I like organizing and leading things and Emily loves to lead and organize things also,” Nead said.

As president, Nead helped lead and plan the meetings with Wilson.

“We helped with the Christmas party, and we haven’t had many others because we usually meet only once a month but we’ve been really busy,” Nead said.

Students looking to join French or Spanish club can contact Wilson or Watkiss with questions and concerns.