Winter Sports Update

As the stress-filled and chaotic end of the semester greets BSHS students once again, winter sports seasons are in full swing. An update of the winter sports so far is to follow:

•  Boys basketball started their season off strong defeating Lee’s Summit West in a high scoring game of 81-76 iin their season opener. They followed up with another great performance, earning a huge victory against Blue Valley Northwest on the 6th. Ranked 25th in the preseason Varsity 810 poll, the Cats defeated Jeff City last Thursday in the BSSD tournament, earning Head Coach Adam Jones his 100th career win. Unfortunately, the Wildcats have lost key player senior Eli Wingert to injury, but they are getting strong showings from underclassmen like sophomore Braden Appelhans. 
  • Mixing strong senior leaders with talented freshman, girls basketball started their season falling to solid opponents. The Cats fell to Lee’s Summit West in their season opener on December 2. Freshman Jada Williams led the team in points with 17 total. Taking to the road, they played in Columbia at the Mizzou Arena on the 6th against Incarnate High School where they suffered a close loss. The team defeated Fort Osage on the 10th with a score of 67-39, leaving the Indians with no chance of catching up. The Wildcats play tonight in the home quadruple header, which features girls and boys JV and V teams versus Blue Valley West.
  • Girls swim and dive had their first meet of the season December 11 against Grain Valley, winning 202-99. The 200 medley relay consisting  of senior Jenna Wright, junior Annemarie Rehbin, senior Sydney Franklin, and freshman I’yana Foster, already qualified for state due to their outstanding race time of 1:56.61. The team is undefeated, and their next meet will be on Saturday, December 21 at home. Head Coach Kevin Bigham is looking at a 50 dual match win streak! 
  • Wrestling opened their season falling in a close match of 33-39 against Belton on December 5. The following week the team redeemed themselves earning their first conference win of the season against Lee’s Summit West. Last night, they picked up a huge win at Park Hill, defeating the conference opponent for the first time in several years. The team has two girls who wrestle as well: sophomore Rhian Kempf and freshman Mady Banker both have placed within the top 5 at every meet they have competed in. After traveling to Jeff City on the 14th for MoDuals, the team took 4th out of 14 schools, continuing their season on a positive note.